Thursday 5 July 2012

Why finding The One (hairdresser) is important to your mental health

Going to hairdressers can be a very scary thing because these people have the power to define the way you look for months. I am very picky about who does my hair because I have realized a bad hair day can turn a good day into a bad day and make me feel worthless. This is why getting my hair done well is always an investment. You wouldn't think that hair has so much power over the way we view ourselves. Good hair days I think 'Oh maybe I'm alright you know I like the way I look, I don't mind being me' and bad hair days trust me I feel like jumping in front of the train.

I used to come home crying from hairdressers when I didn't like my hair so I am always so nervous about getting my hair done. But I did it today... and I haven't made up my mind what I think about my hair now. I think it could be a teeny weeny bit too short. I am very picky. I can't decide if I look like a teenage boy or fashionable and nice girl (obviously the look I was going for). But I decided that I will wait until tomorrow, wash my hair in the morning and style it myself before I panic. The trick is also to try on some nice clothes and put on make up because otherwise it doesn't matter how good the hair looks it will look shit anyway. 

In my opinion hairdressers have the most important job making me feel good about myself. My self confidence (or the lack of it) depends on my hair. And if my self confidence relies on my hair so does then my mental health. That is why I was so incredibly happy when the first time in England I went to hairdressers and he was THE ONE. I had been nervous that nobody in the country could dye or cut my hair right since it is not the typical English hair type but Scandinavian blond, floaty and thin but I think my hairdresser has done better job than a Finnish hairdresser ever has and I have never come out crying after a hair cut or dye here.

Today is the first time I am not sure about my hair. I try not to dwell on it (writing a blog about it is obviously not doing that!) because I know I have a habit of creating worst case scenarios in my head. The problem of judging the hair straight after hairdressers is that you haven't styled it yourself. Hairdressers have a tendency to style you hair into curls (always curls for some odd reason!!) and the way you would never do it yourself. In a way it is nice but you won't look like yourself at all and that freaks me out. Curls make me look stupid - either a 21 year old wanna be fairytale princess or an old lady and I wasn't going for either of those looks believe me. But I have grown up to realize that I need to wait until the next day to decide if its a disaster or just a shiny new me.

No comments:

Post a Comment